St Michael’s School is situated at Smith St overlooking Wombat Park, in Daylesford, a tourist town in the Central Highlands District. It is a Preparatory to Year six Catholic Parish school of roughly a 100 children. The school is organised into multi-age learning groups.
The school commenced in 1892 when the Presentation Sisters opened Holy Cross College as its second establishment in Victoria. Presently the staff of St Michael’s School is predominantly lay in nature.
In 1955, a new St Michael’s School was built on the opposite side of Daly St on what was known as the Police Paddock. The school remained there until 1980 at which time it moved back to the Holy Cross site after the Parish of St Peter’s had purchased and converted Holy Cross to a primary school.
In 1992, land in Smith St was purchased by the parish for a new site for St Michael’s with occupation taking place in 1994.
St Michael’s School serves a vast rural district and being only one hour from Melbourne and thirty minutes from Ballarat provides ready access to cultural experiences. The community of St Michael’s has a variety of lifestyles and family structures. Parental employment covers a wide high in Daylesford and the surrounding districts. Parents are encouraged to be involved in St Michael’s School, especially through the St Michael’s Parent’s Association and the Parish Leadership Team